04 Feb The One And Only Green Pancakes You Need To Know About
Eat your greens, yogis! Yes, we all know it. And we try. But nothing beats yummy pancakes for Sunday brunch. The image above looks just too good. To spice up your green veggies intake, we have found some super green spinach pancakes for you. You will never want to go back!
We all know that we should eat healthily and that a healthy digestive system is essential to living a mindful and balanced and wholesome life. In theory that is super easy, come going out for brekkie on the weekend, our head says green smoothie, but our hearts often say pancakes. And guess what? We have a combination of both healthy, green and pancakes. Plus, they taste amazing and do look quite impressive. However, they are super quick and easy to make. Plus, they also have our all-time favourite veggie ever in it: avocados are still life. Can it get even better?
- One ripe avocado
- 350 g ripe mixed-colour cherry tomatoes
- 100 g baby spinach
- 3 spring onions
- half a bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- extra virgin olive oil
- one large egg
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- olive oil
- 300 g cottage cheese
- hot chilli sauce
The avocado-tomato salsa:
- Halve, destone, peel and finely slice the avocado and quarter the tomatoes. Then place avocado and tomato slices in a salad bowl with a quarter of the spinach. Trim, finely slice and add the spring onions and pick in the coriander leaves, then squeeze over the lime juice. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, toss to coat and put aside.
- Crack the egg into a blender, add the flour, milk, remaining spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper, then blitz until smooth. Place a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat and rub the pan with a little olive oil. Then pour in a thin layer of batter, swirling it up and around the edges.
- Cook on one side only for 2 minutes, or until lightly golden, then stack up on a serving plate and repeat.
The finishing touches:
- Top each pancake with dollops of cottage cheese, the avocado salad, and a few good shakes of chilli sauce.
To give it the extra zing, squeeze some extra lime over the top. Additionally, you can also substitute the spinach for a mix of soft herbs, such as parsley, mint, basil or tarragon. Anything you fancy really – think green and go for gold.
Next time you invite your friends over for brunch, give these a go.
Enjoy your new favourite pancakes, yogis!
Recipe and images by Jaimie Oliver